Saturday, October 27, 2007

Healthy Halloween treats

UPDATE - Oct. 28/07: Ha! So much for that noble idea. I went to Costco and bought 48 full-size boxes of Smarties. *sigh* There were some organic items, but I would have had to take out a second mortgage on my house. Wow. Maybe next year...

I've decided that I'm giving out pseudo-healthy Halloween treats this year. Although it's virtually impossible to find anything without gobs of sugar in it, I'm going to try and at least find the "best of the worst" stuff to hand out. I could put a reasonably healthy mixture of dried fruit and nuts together (too high in carbs for me, but most of the rugrats can likely handle it), but parents usually chuck the treats that haven't been professionally packaged - and I don't blame them.

So I'm going to have to find the "best of the worst" stuff to hand out. I don't even mind buying full-sized items. I just need to figure out what to get. I only get 30-40 kids at my door on Halloween night, so I don't mind handing out something full-sized and pseudo-good for you - even health bars or something.

Any suggestions? Preferably on the low end of the sugar scale, natural and packaged so I don't waste my money and have everything thrown out by parents when the kids get home?

No comments: