Thursday, October 18, 2007

I hate those damn blood pressure pills!

Late last year, my doctor put me on blood pressure medication in order to get it down into the normal range. This was the first time in my life that I'd been prescribed regular medication, i.e. "take this forever" medication.

Having been overweight for pretty much all my life, I guess that I'm quite lucky that I don't have even more medical issues. My cholesterol is very low - even though I'm reading a lot lately that cholesterol may not be that much to worry about. (And people with normal or low cholesterol have heart attacks, too!) My sugars are completely normal.

I know that pills are a way of life for many people due to illnesses and conditions, but high blood pressure due primarily to obesity is completely avoidable.

I hate those damn pills! And I'm determined to get off them if I can. I realize that even some thin people need high blood pressure pills - my mother is one of them, and I know others who are normal weight and need medication to keep their blood pressure in check.

But when you're overweight, you have the ability to at least see if a major lifestyle change will be enough to take you off these meds.

I've lost 58 lb in four months. My blood pressure was under control when I started my new low-carb way of eating, but this was due solely to the meds. I wasn't doing anything to help it along.

When I was first diagnosed with high blood pressure a little over a year ago, I was at 170/100. Very high. Three months ago, my pressure was at 135/90 - or something like that. Today, it was 110/80. Everything is certainly moving in the right direction.

As I continue this journey to a regular weight, I told my doctor that my goal is to get off the meds. Of course, we'll have to see how things go. I realize that some people can't get off them, but I'm certainly going to try. I can't imagine that losing A LOT of weight won't have a very significant impact on the dosage or even my need for them at all.

So that's my goal: getting off those damn pills!

Yet another reason why the low-carb way of life is the way to go.

No excuses!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have one cheerleader in your corner. Go, Brian, go! (You certainly have a winning attitude.)
K.

Brian Cormier said...

Thanks, K.! :)