Monday, October 22, 2007

Low-carb recipe: Phoebe's pumpkin and sausage soup

I made this tonight and it was awesome! The photo is from the actual soup that I made. Click on the photo for a larger version.

PHOEBE'S PUMPKIN AND SAUSAGE SOUP

- 1 pound pork sausage (I used hot Italian sausage.)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped, about 5 medium (I'll definitely increase this next time - even double or triple it - sliced very thinly. The soup needed more "stuff" in it, I found.)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 15-oz. can pumpkin (I used a 14-oz. can of organic pumpkin and threw in a couple of tablespoons of other pumpkin I had in the fridge. Even without that extra pumpkin, I'm sure the 14-oz. can would have been fine.)
- 4 cups chicken broth (I used organic.)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (i.e. whipping cream)
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt and pepper, to taste (I used two big pinches of kosher salt and a healthy dose of freshly ground pepper.)

In a large pot, brown the sausage along with the onion, mushrooms and garlic; drain fat. (There was no fat to drain in mine. I actually added a bit of water to avoid burning.) Add the pumpkin and broth. Add Italian seasoning. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and simmer 20-30 minutes. (I simmered on "low" on a small burner and stirred reasonably often.) Add the cream and water; simmer 10-15 minutes longer. Adjust seasoning.

Makes 8 cups or 8 servings. Can be frozen. Per serving: 277 Calories; 21g Fat; 15g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs.

This soup was delicious! I will definitely be making it again. By using hot Italian sausage, I definitely gave it a major kick. If you don't like spicy food, you should use a mild sausage, but I really liked the bite mine has.

This recipe is courtesy of the excellent Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes website.

1 comment:

Fitness Health Zone said...

Oh yeah yummy recipe thank you for sharing will gonna try... :D and wanted to add this list :-)

One can attain low carb foods with various types of vegetables such as: spinach, bean sprouts, collards, mustard greens, herbs like rosemary and thyme, celery, parsley, cabbage, radishes, broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower, cucumber, scallions, avocado, summer squash, asparagus, all sorts of pepper bamboo shoots, snow peas, fennel, Brussels sprouts, tomato, eggplant, onions, pumpkins, water chestnuts and okra.