Friday, October 26, 2007

Low-carb slow cooker recipe: Lamb stew provençal

I ate this for lunch most of the week. Very good! I felt guilty about eating that cute little lamb, but man he/she was delicious. :)

- 3 lb lamb stew meat
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 whole fennel bulb, sliced lengthwise (also called "anise")
- 1 medium onion, sliced lengthwise
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 15-oz can of black soybeans, drained (these are MUCH lower in carbs than regular black beans. Can be found in health food stores, usually, or organic section at supermarkets.)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon concentrate
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp dried savory ("summer savory")
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- guar or xanthan gum as thickener (I used a roux of Carbquik and water + the xanthan gum)

Season the lamb with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the oil and brown the lamb on all sides over medium high heat. (Yes, use a LARGE skillet. It's a lot of meat!)

Place the fennel, onion, and garlic in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add the bay leaf and rosemary. Dump the (drained) soybeans on top of that. When the lamb is done, put it on top of the beans.

In a bowl, stir together the broth, bouillon, basil, marjoram, savory and thyme. Pour the mixture over the lamb. Cover the slow cooker, set it to low and let it cook for 8-9 hours. (I shut mine off at eight hours on the button and it was just perfect.) When it is done, thicken the liquid with the guar or xanthan gum (optional). (I used the roux of Carbquik and water, too. You can get xanthan gum in the organic section of the supermarket where the organic flour, grains, etc. are.)

8 servings each with 348 calories, 17 g fat, 41 g protein (assuming soybeans), 8 g carbs, 4 g fiber, for 4 g of net carbs!

The only thing I would perhaps change next time is the soybeans. Not sure if I want to eat a lot of soy. They could probably be dropped without changing much. Would lower the carb count a bit.

The above photo is from the batch I made. Click on the photo for a larger version.

Source: Dana Carpender

2 comments:

schooner72 said...

I did low-carb years ago with good weight loss success but quickly got tired of egg whites and tuna..even if Bob tried to jazz things up.

I've been reading your blog for the last 2 months. I must say that the articles and the recepies that you are posting are showing me the expanding variety available theses days. Each time you post your latest weight loss and seeing that you are sticking with it is truely sending some motivation my way. I am giving it serious thought. You are holding to your "no excuses" motto. Keep it up.

Chris Richard

Brian Cormier said...

Hi Chris! Thanks very much for the nice comments. I'm glad I'm able to inspire people. That, in turn, inspires me to continue. Look out, Oprah! LOL This is a way to eat not just to lose weight, but forever. All you do after you hit your goal weight is increase the number of carbs up to your tolerance level so that you won't regain. I've never eaten so well in all my life. Planning ahead is the key thing. I'll keep posting recipes! People really seem to enjoy them. I'm going to make a dessert in the slow cooker today. :) I'll portion it out and freeze it for a treat from time to time (low-carb dessert, of course). Very simple, but a nice treat. Thanks again for your note!

PS: No excuses! :)