Saturday, October 20, 2007

Recipe: Dottie's low-carb pumpkin pound cake

This is a great recipe that I tried for the first time last night. It came together in no time and baked really well! If you love pumpkin pie, you'll LOVE this... and it's low-carb!

DOTTIE'S PUMPKIN POUND CAKE

- 1 cup canned pumpkin (choose "pure pumpkin", not "pumpkin" or "pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup granulated Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda (I used granulated Splenda)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla (sugar-free vanilla, preferably)
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I used a heaping 1/2 tsp to add some extra zing!)- Pinch to 1/8 teaspoon salt (I used a big pinch of kosher salt)
- 5 eggs (I used extra large, but I'm sure large would do. Normally I have "large" around for baking but didn't have any last night.)
- 6 oz. almond flour, about 1 1/2 cups (I weighed out 6 oz. of almond flour - same thing as ground almonds)

Grease an 8" X 4" loaf pan well or line with foil and grease foil. (I buttered a glass 8.5" X 4.5" loaf dish. That's the smallest I had.

In medium bowl, beat pumpkin, Splenda, baking powder, vanilla, spice and salt, if using, with electric mixer until well blended. Beat in eggs, then almonds. Add a little water, if needed, to make a thick, but pourable batter. (I didn't need to add any water and I can't imagine that anyone else would.) Pour into pan and bake at 300ยบ for 60-75 minutes until cake pulls away from sides of pan a bit and toothpick comes out clean. (I cooked mine for 65 minutes and it came out perfect. I could have probably left it in another few minutes, but it looked great at 65! ) This comes out so moist that the extra baking time will be OK.

Let cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and peel off foil (if used). Cool completely on rack before slicing. Store in refrigerator or freeze. Makes 1 loaf or 12 servings. Can be frozen.

With granular Splenda:

Per serving: 130 calories; 9g fat; 6g protein; 7g carbs; 2g dietary fibre; 5g net carbs.

With liquid Splenda:

Per serving: 122 calories; 9g fat; 6g protein; 5g carbs; 2g dietary fibre; 3g net carbs.

I will try this with liquid Splenda next time, but am a bit fearful of making it too moist. The finished produce is bordering on "too moist" right now... actually it's just right!

I will definitely make this again! Very easy to make and extremely tasty! The extra bit of pumpkin pie spice was worth it! (Yes, the above photo is the actual one I made! Click on the photo for a larger version.)

Recipe courtesy of Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes.

No comments: