Monday, October 29, 2007

Recipe: Low-carb Italian chicken casserole

This is so easy that it's a joke, especially when you use one of those roasted chickens from your supermarket. I made this for the second time tonight. There's nothing to cook! You just need to take apart the chicken, put it together and throw it in the oven for a bit in order to melt everything.

If you're in the mood for a cheesy, gooey Italian meal, give this a try!! Courtesy of the excellent Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes website.

- 1 roasted chicken (from the grocery store, or roast your own)
-
medium tub of ricotta cheese (I used ricotta the first time and didn't like it. Not a fan. I used 2% cottage cheese this time. I prefer the texture of cottage cheese.)
-
shredded mozzarella cheese (I just used "handfuls")
-
grated parmesan cheese (I just used "handfuls")
-
1 jar of low-carb tomato sauce (I used a bottle of organic marinara sauce with no sugar added)
-
1 teaspoon of dried basil (I just sprinkled some on each layer without measuring)
-
1 teaspoon of dried oregano (I just sprinkled some on each layer without measuring)

Spread 5 tbsp of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish. Shred the roasted chicken, and spread half in the dish. Layer cheeses on top, and then cover with sauce. Put the rest of the chicken on top of that, and make another cheese layer. (I actually made three layers, not two.) Cover with tomato sauce, and TONS of mozzarella cheese on top. Sprinkle with dried basil and oregano. Bake until cheese is melted and golden brown! (There was no baking time or temperature for this recipe. I used 350F for 45 minutes, but it could have probably a good hour and five minutes after that with cover of the casserole dish off.)

(I sprinkled dried basil, oregano, parsley flakes and pepper after each layer of cheeses (i.e. three times total). I also sprinkled minced garlic on the top cheese layer and threw on a few thin slices of a small tomato for looks.)

For added flavours, and fibre, add cooked veggies, or spinach!

This is a delicious and fast casserole. It's versatile, so you can pretty much add what you want. If you're craving lasagna, this is a good substitute. I think this would also be good with sausage meat or meatballs, too.

The photo above is from the one I made tonight. I probably could have let it brown a bit more on top, but you get the idea. I just put the tomatoes there for "looks," but they taste good, too! This is a very large casserole. The photo is taken on top of my stove and you can see that the large casserole dish takes up two full burners! (And yes, I need to clean under my burner grates. Ugh!) Click on the photo for a larger version.

1 comment:

Big Daddy D said...

Sounds like yet another low-carb lasagna recipe... I think that using the chicken layers sounds much better than replacing noodles with eggplant, zucchini, or mushrooms. Great idea.