Sunday, October 28, 2007

Recipe: Low-carb rhubarb flummery in the slow cooker

Again, here's another excellent recipe from Dana Carpender.

I'd never heard the word "flummery" before, so I looked it up online:

"Flummery" (from the Welsh llymru) is a sweet soft pudding that is made from stewed fruit and thickened with cornstarch

Sometimes things don't have to be complicated in order to be delicious. This takes a few hours to make, but it's very simple. (You can probably make something similar right on the stovetop, but I liked the aroma of rhubarb wafting through the house. Do NOT use cornstarch, as well. It is NOT an ingredient low-carbers use.)

- 1 lb of rhubarb (I bought a bag of frozen, cut rhubarb and weighed out 1 lb on a food scale)
- 1/2 cup of Splenda
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/8 tsp of orange extract (I will probably double that the next time I make this)
- Guar or xanthan gum (I used 1 tsp of xanthan gum and will probably double it next time)

Place the rhubarb in your slow cooker and stir in the Splenda, water and orange extract. Cover the slow cooker, set it to low, and let it cook for 5 to 6 hours. (I left it in for 5.5 hours and it came out perfect. I'm sure that 5 hours would have sufficed, though. I mean, it's rhubarb. It cooks very fast.)

When the time's up, the rhubarb will be very soft. Mash it with a fork to a rough pulp. (I mashed it with a potato masher right in the slow cooker. The next time, I'm going to throw it in the mixer and whip it.) Thicken the sauce to a soft pudding consistency with guar or xanthan gum and serve hot or cold. (I ate it both hot and cold. It was thicker and more like a pudding when it was cold because the xanthan gum kicked in.)

This dessert is great with a little heavy cream or whipped cream.

Yield: 6 servings, each with 16 calories, trace fat, trace protein, 4 g carbs, 1 g dietary fibre, 3 g net carbs.

I really liked this. I think having it cold with some whipped cream on top would be awesome. I just ate it "straight up," so to speak. I'll definitely add some whipped cream next time. I personally think the number of servings is really out of whack here, though. Six servings? I dunno. They'd be quite tiny. Four would be more realistic. Perhaps a good palate cleanser after a big meal, though - the smaller you go.

Click the above photo for a larger version. This is from the batch I made, and that bowl is a small dessert bowl... and that was HALF of what was made, so divide that into three even smaller portions and you'll see that six portions out of that batch would be quite small. I think four is much more reasonable.

Enjoy!

No comments: