Sunday, November 11, 2007

Recipe: Faux Sweet Potato Casserole

I love sweet potato casserole and this is certainly a reasonable facsimile. It's kind of like eating hot pumpkin pie filling, but it really goes well with ham! I've made this a couple of times already. I wasn't fussy about the streusel topping, though, and just left it off the second time I made it. Click on the photo for a larger version.

Casserole:

- 1 small can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling) (I used a 14-oz. can of organic pure pumpkin puree that I found at a health food store. Otherwise, just open up a big can and measure out about 14-15 oz. in a measuring cup.)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar Twin
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- pinch of salt (to taste)

Streusel topping:

- 1/4 cup pecan meal (I saw almond flour used in another version. I might like that one better. Not as gritty as the pecans? Pecan meal is just ground-up pecans... similar to "almond flour". I bought it at a bulk food store.)
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- pinch of cinnamon (to taste)
- 1 tbsp Splenda
- 1 tbsp unflavored protein powder

Mix all of the casserole ingredients together and transfer them to a medium-sized, lightly greased casserole. In a small bowl, mix together the streusel ingredients and cut them together to form small crumbs. Sprinkle on top of the pumpkin mixture in the casserole. Bake at 350F until warmed through and the streusel sets a bit.

No comments: