Saturday, November 3, 2007

Recipe: Kim's low-carb flax meal cinnamon muffins

Despite the huge amounts of cinnamon and vanilla in this recipe, I couldn't taste either one. I guess they're needed to tone down the strong taste of the flax meal. These look and taste like bran muffins, if you ask me. I sprinkled some toasted sesame seeds on top of mine for some extra crunch before putting them in the oven. I also put about 1 tsp in the batter. I'll probably add more next time. I bought the sesame seeds at the sushi counter of the grocery store. (Click on the photo for a larger version.)

- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp oil (I used canola oil)
- 1/4 cup sugar-free syrup, such as DaVinci or Torani (I had ordered some DaVinci syrup online. See the post immediately preceding this one for more on sugar-free syrups. Plain sugar-free syrup is also known as "liquid Splenda." It's important that the syrup be sweetened with sucralose (Splenda), not aspartame.)
- 2 tbsp water (I forgot to add this! Didn't seem to matter, though. They came out fine.)
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup flax meal
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cinnamon (the amount is correct)

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. (I used a whisk.) With a fork or spoon, beat in oil, syrup, water and vanilla. In small bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients, then stir into egg mixture. Let stand 5 minutes. (Holy macaroni. I forgot to do this, too! Maybe they would have risen higher in the oven had I done this. I found them to be quite small, despite tasting fine.) Spoon into 12 well-greased muffin cups (without papers). Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes (I left mine in for 15), or until they are lightly browned and seem set to the touch. Remove from tin at once to cooling rack. Store in refrigerator.

Makes 12 muffins Can be frozen.

Per serving: 85 calories; 7g fat; 4g protein; 4g carbohydrate; 3g dietary fibre; 1g net carbs. (The carbs added by the sesame seeds would have been nil, since the net carb count on the seeds is zero anyway.)

I thought I'd read this recipe carefully when I was making it. Sheesh! I forgot the water and letting it stand for five minutes. I'll do that next time, for sure. They still tasted fine, though! Enjoy!

Courtesy of Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes.

No comments: