Monday, December 31, 2007

Recipe: Low-carb coleslaw


Low-carbers know that commercial and restaurant coleslaw is full of sugar. I guess that's why so many people like it!

This particular coleslaw recipe is so close to restaurant-style that you won't be able to tell the difference.

To make things more convenient, I use a commercially prepared coleslaw salad mix (shredded cabbage, few carrots for colour). 1.5 lb of mix works well for this recipe. I use three 8-oz bags of Belleisle brand, personally. You can also simply shred some cabbage on your own, but I find that this makes the coleslaw really soupy unless you're diligent at draining it really well. It's much easier to buy it already shredded in a bag.

(By the way, if you use a mix with red cabbage in it, your coleslaw will turn pink. Tastes good, but the colour is strange.)

For a finer consistency, I run the cabbage mix through the food processor for five seconds. (One 8-oz bag at a time.) This takes less than a minute to do and the consistency is much closer to restaurant-style coleslaw when you do this. Depending on your preference, you can leave it as is, of course.

So now that you have your cabbage prepared, here's the recipe for the dressing:

- 1/3 cup Splenda (or equivalent low-carb sweetener)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice

Mix it all together with a whisk.

Throw in the coleslaw. Mix it all together and let sit for two hours before serving for the best flavour. This is one of my favourite recipes and I have it often.

Click on the photo for a larger version. (This is the batch I made this evening.)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Dinah said...

Hey, LC Dude! your cole slaw sounds really good! i'm bookmarking it for my next grocery trip. DH loves "normal" coleslaw, but i'm addicted to George's Waldorf Cole Slaw. Have you tried it yet? Rachel came up with a real winner. It tastes a lot like waldorf salad made with apples, but much better for you! Let me know if you try it. For some its and aquired taste, for others (me) it's an addiction!!!!

Happy New Year!!!!

Brian Cormier said...

Hi Dinah! :) The coleslaw is really good. I make it all the time. Haven't tried the Waldorf dressing yet, but it's on my list! I actually have it saved on my computer... it's been there for ages... I just haven't tried it yet! Happy New Year! :)