Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Quit crapping on low-carb!


I heard someone on the radio this morning talking about the low-carb lifestyle and they added the word "loathsome" in front of it.

I was not impressed... because this person obviously knows nothing about low-carb or the studies that show it is a perfectly safe and effective way to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight after that. In fact, the American Diabetes Association finally came out and said that low-carb diets are a safe and effective way to lose weight.

Well duh.

The fact is that the real "fad" here is LOW FAT... not low carb. Before the introduction of white flour, white sugar, white pasta and packaged food to western civilization's diet, obesity was hardly rampant - except among the rich... who could afford -- guess what -- expensive white sugar, white flour, etc.

If you want to fatten up a bunch of pigs on a farm, nothing will do it faster than lots and lots of white bread.

I'm so sick of the popular notion that fat makes you fat. It doesn't. Sugar makes you fat.

A generation of low-fat eating has given us a huge obesity and diabetes problem.

Low-carbers eat from the low end of the glycemic food index. All that means is that we eat like we're the worst diabetics on Earth. We eat like diabetics SHOULD eat.

Check out some recipes on diabetic websites. They include SUGAR and WHITE FLOUR. Can you imagine?? Great way to regulate blood glucose, eh?

I eat low-carb and I eat fresh foods... meats, cheeses, nuts, non-starchy vegetables, fruits (berries). Do I feel deprived? No. For the first time in years, I'm making my own food. I'm not spending $100/week at take-outs like I used to. And I'm not stopping at the corner store before work every day to pick up $10 worth of candy to munch on during the day.

I'm eating real food and the scales prove that it's working. And yes, it's absolutely 100% sustainable. I can live without potatoes, bread, pasta and sugar, thanks very much. No potato or piece of bread is going to regulate my life.

Loathsome indeed. Tell that to the 82.5 lb I've lost so far.