Saturday, July 26, 2008

My low-carb energy drink

There are tons of energy drink recipes out there, but here's mine... and it's low-carb, too!

In a blender, place:

- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop of unflavoured (or flavoured - doesn't matter) whey protein powder (unsweetened or sweetened with Splenda)
- 1 heaping tbsp of chia seeds (I grind them after measuring)
- 1 heaping tbsp of ground flax seeds
- 1/3 individual packet of sugar-free berry-flavoured drink mix (Nestea, Crystal Lite... whatever)
- 1/4 cup frozen berries (I use raspberries)
- 1/2 tsp banana extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 8 drops Sweetzfree liquid Splenda or 1/3 cup granular Splenda
- 1/3 cup soft tofu (I just throw in a big blob of it - make sure it's the softest one available)
- 2 capsules green tea extract (I open the capsules and pour the contents in - discard the capsules afterwards)

Blend on highest setting for 20-30 seconds. I pour this into a Thermos and bring it with me to work every day and drink it at about 3 or 4 p.m. This has kept me from eating so much in the evenings lately. Gives about 2.5 to three cups. I make sure to rinse the blender out with a bit of water and pour that into the Thermos, too. Don't want to waste any of that goodness!

If you let this sit in the refrigerator or a Thermos for a few hours, it thickens up incredibly (those are the chia seeds at work!).

Popular YouTube blogger Josh recently posted his own energy drink recipe. (It's a joke, by the way. Don't try it at home. Watch it right until the end. I wasn't sure if he was joking until he actually tasted it.)

No comments: