Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Recipe: Brian's to-die-for low-carb maple hazelnut butter fudge


UPDATE - September 22, 2008: I increased the maple extract and didn't make a huge difference. Just go with your preference. I also made a batch using almond butter and 3/4 tsp of almond extract. Delicious, too... especially if you like almonds! Personally, I love 'em!

UPDATE - December 23, 2009: You can also add a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses for colour. Adds some richness.


OK... can you say "DELICIOUS!!!", people? This a recipe I adapted from the very tasty peanut butter fudge recipe I posted several days ago,

- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick - use SALTED butter, please, unless you're using salted hazelnut butter - I'm not even sure if that exists, though)
- 1/2 cup natural hazelnut butter
- 2.5 oz. cream cheese (by weight), softened
- 1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda (I used Sweetzfree)
- 2/3 cup low-carb vanilla whey protein powder
- 1/2 tsp maple extract (could be increased to 3/4 tsp for stronger flavour)

First a note on hazelnut butter. You can probably find this in the organic section of your grocery store. It's quite pricey but is one of the lowest-carb nut butters you can find! The oil will likely be separated from the butter, so you will need to mix it together again after opening the jar. It is pretty much impossible to stir in the jar. I dumped everything in the electric mixer and gave it a good stir that way! Worked like a charm. It is quite liquid-like, especially after having been mixed.

Melt the butter in the microwave. Add the hazelnut butter and stir well to combine. I used a whisk.

Whisk in the cream cheese until well blended. This may take a bit of stirring, but the heat of the melted butter will eventually help melt the cream cheese.

Whisk in the maple extract, then the Splenda.

Then stir in the protein powder. I use a silicone spatula for this part.

I lined a loaf pan with non-stick aluminum foil and poured the mixture into that.

I originally put it into the refrigerator, but felt that the oil was separating from the hazelnut butter again, so I put it in the freezer to stop that and make it harden faster. Worked like a charm! After an hour or so, I moved it back to the refrigerator.

I will probably increase the maple extract for my next batch.

These taste amazing, if you ask me! They are nice and smooth and quite simply to-die-for!

Click on the photo for a larger version.

2 comments:

Cheeseslave said...

Wow I can't believe it's low carb -- looks so tasty!!!

Brian Cormier said...

It is deadly addictive. Ha!