Monday, October 20, 2008

Recipe: Low-carb pumpkin pie


I've made this delicious low-carb pumpkin pie a couple of times and you can't tell the difference between this and a pie made with sugar and evaporated milk.

First, there are two crust options (ground almonds OR pecan meal). I've made it with both. (I altered the recipe a tad from the original. The original pecan crust was a bit different, but I like a spicy crust, so preferred the crust from the About.com low-carb pumpkin cheesecake, so I substituted it for the pie. It would work with either almonds or pecans.)

CRUST OPTION #1 - GROUND ALMONDS:

- 1 1/2 cups ground almonds or pecan meal
- 0.5 tsp each of ginger and cinnamon
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 4 tbsp sugar substitute (or equivalent)

PIE FILLING:

- 1 15 oz can pure pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup unsweetened soy milk (or milk or cream - milk has more carbs, so adjust - I used unsweetened almond milk, which I always have on hand for my energy shakes)
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar equivalent from artificial sweetener (I used Sweetzfree)
- 1 teaspoon dark molasses (optional - I used organic blackstrap molasses)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 scant tsp nutmeg (scant = not quite a tsp)
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- pinch of cloves (I used 1/8 tsp)
- 1/4 tsp salt

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Preheat oven to 425F. (important)

2) Dump all the ingredients into a food processor or blender and whirl to blend.

3) Pour into the crust.

4) Put the pie in the oven and immediately turn the oven down to 375F. In 15 minutes, turn the oven down to 300F. (This cooks the crust, so it isn't soggy, but then allows the custard to bake more slowly.) Bake until almost set in the middle, about 30 to 40 minutes more. If it starts to crack a bit around the edges, it's probably done.

5) Cool and serve. If you want to serve it with low-carb whipped cream, click here for a recipe.

CREDIT:

This delicious recipe is courtesy of Laura Dolson's excellent About.com low-carb site. Click here to take a look around. Don't forget to bookmark it! Click here for the original recipe.

(Click on the photo for a larger version. This is the exact pie I brought to my mother's for Thanksgiving. Non low-carbers thought it was delicious. They said they couldn't tell the difference.)

No comments: