Monday, December 29, 2008

Week #80: Up 9 lb for a total of -108 lb

Yes, you read that right. I gained 9 lb in one week... the week of Christmas.

Although I remained faithful to low-carb eating, I ate wayyyyy too much. This is a prime example of how you still have to be careful of the volume of what you take in even if you're being faithful to whatever regime you're following.

To put things mildly, I was shocked and disappointed when I got on the scale this morning. I knew I'd gained... but 9 lb???? I nearly cried like a little girl.

BUT... let's put things into perspective here. The routine is back after a highly non-routine holiday. I've rid the house of any low-carb Christmas goodies (like the delicious but deadly low-carb fudge that I gorged on). The freezer if full of good low-carb food ready to be "nuked" for meals. I'm on vacation until next Monday, so I'll make sure that I stock up even more. The water I'd ignored for over a week is back on the daily routine, too. I know part of the reason I gained so much is bloating.

I had decided to start the sweet-free challenge suggested by low-carb guru Jimmy Moore on January 1st, but after having gained 9 lb (OH MY GOD!!!!!! I still can't believe it) in one week, I started today. That means that for the next four weeks, I am not letting anything sweet touch my tongue. That means no Splenda, no other sweeteners (natural or artificial) or fruit.

Now, this may sound reasonably simple, but if you think about it, that means no treats whatsoever, such as sugar-free Popsicles, sugar-free Jell-O, diet soda, diet drinks (Nestea, etc.), etc. I've gone through Day One of the challenge with little trouble and plan on being 100% faithful until the end. That blasted 9 lb gain needs to get the heck out of town ASAP and I want to make sure that 2009 is the year that I put another huge chunk in my weight loss. After 1.5 years, it's time to bring this puppy home. We're in the final stretch.

Onward and downward, as a friend of mine said today!

If I can do it, so can you!

No excuses. Ever.

2 comments:

Jimmy Moore said...

You can do this, Brian! I've lost a total of 25 pounds in November and December simply by cutting out "sweet" from my diet. It's AMAZING!

Brian Cormier said...

That's awesome, Jimmy! I'm on Day 2 of the sweet-free challenge and plan on seeing it through to the end! I've come too far to give up. Thanks again for the encouragement.