Saturday, January 17, 2009

A favourite low-carb meal: Shrimp'n'salsa'n'sour cream

One of my favourite low-carb meals is very simple.

First, take a some sugar-free salsa (check the label - my favourite brand is Pace). Choose mild, medium or hot... whichever one you prefer. Put a generous helping in a bowl... at least 1 cup. Throw in a couple of tablespoons of full-fat sour cream. (I use a restaurant-style sour cream sold around these parts - it's extremely thick.) Mix'er up. This gives you a pink'ish blend that you'll use as the dip.

Next, you'll need some shrimp. Personally, I prefer to buy the bags of large raw frozen shrimp and cook them. The hot shrimp combined with the coldness of the dip is a very nice contrast.

If you're cooking from raw, you'll need to thaw the shrimp first, of course - either for several hours in the refrigerator or under cold running water for several minutes. Peel the shrimp (if they're not already peeled) and then cook in salted boiling water for 2.5 to 3 minutes. Shrimp cooks extremely fast and it only takes a couple of minutes. Any longer and your large beautiful shrimp will shrink and turn into rubber. (Once I learned how to properly cook raw shrimp, I never bought frozen pre-cooked shrimp again.)

Once you've drained the shrimp, put on a plate along with your bowl of dip, grab a fork and dip each shrimp into the dip. It's absolutely delicious!

I eat this all the time, especially when I'm in a rush and want something simple. If you've planned ahead and pre-thawed the shrimp, this supper takes literally only a few minutes to pull together.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Kelly the Kitchen Kop said...

Hi Brian,

I love this dip, but never thought of pairing it with shrimp, great idea!

Kelly

Brian Cormier said...

Thanks, Kelly! It's a really nice combination.

Joy said...

I just found your blog while looking for some low carb recipes - I'll certainly be back - this one looks like a keeper!

The TVP oatmeal looks promising too! I'm getting really sick of omlets and I miss oatmeal!

Perservere indeed!! Have a great day!

:)

Brian Cormier said...

Thanks, Joy! Your comments are very much appreciated. Make sure you buy a good TVP (i.e. Bob's Red Mill). I used that brand the first time and really liked it. Switched to bulk store stuff and the next batch was awful. I prefer the birdseed porridge recipe I posted a couple of weeks ago.